The New Jim Crow 🚔

I can conclude that I am not a person of color, however I am a proud educator to students of all colors. This weeks readings and film The 13th, really hit home for me. This was my second time revisiting the film, after showing it to my Ethnic Studies class last winter that was not shocking to many of my students of color, but created a great discussion in my class. Many of my Black and Latino students  were overtly against policing and some who opened up about their personal experiences with the American penal system. Many of their family members had become products of "mass incarceration" that was heightened by Bill Clinton's 1994 crime bill. Even after watching the documentary a second time, that opening statistic of incarceration's stared at me through the screen. The US has 5% of the world's population, but 25% prisoners. Insert head shaking GIF here. Furthermore, in 1972 incarcerations were 300,000. In 2020, it is almost 2.3 million. We talk about funding formula's, how about this PEOPLE OF COLOR+ INCARCERATIONS=BIG BUSNIESS AND PROFITS. The documentary also went in further to explain how the 13th Amendment perpetuated this idea of freedom for slaves, but in a criminal sense one would revert back to a slave. I have never lived in the South, yet I did get married there. It is historical fact that the Klu Klux Klan was created directly as the South's loss of the Civil War. In the South they refer to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression." Even the Klu Klux Klan has made it way into Hollywood in 2020 in the Watchmen. Here, Regina King's character Angela Abar holds up Klan robes of her white mentor Don Johnson's character Judd Crawford. 

This type of stereotype of so-called "black criminality" was perpetuated through multiple avenues. The one that comes to my memory is the wearing of black face as portrayed in the film "Birth of a Nation." As a child I wondered why white actors were being portrayed as black, why couldn't they just cast actors that were black. The reason being is being white even dominated Hollywood through segregation, until Hattie McDaniel was casted in Gone With the Wind. She won an Oscar for her performance as a maid or Scarlet O'Hara's white southern belle's mammy. The documentary then address the 1960's Civil Rights Movement and how the image of the protestor and the criminal became synonymous. Yet, it was Martin Luther King Jr. who introduced a new image of criminality in juxtapose to a peaceful protest through non-violence. I think about Martin Luther King, especially since my wedding reception in Memphis, TN wasn't far from the Lorraine Motel where King was killed. This racial separation is apparent even in our Providence Public Schools today, where we know students of color are being educated in inadequate facilities. My mind races to this neoliberalism idea of "mass incarceration" for minor offenses like possession of marijuana. Now we see this push to legalize the drug and the economies created from it to make non-colored people rich. I think about Richard Nixon and what his opinion on BLM would be? Probably a threat to the American people and considered it a terrorist organization rather than a movement that addresses police brutality against non-white's. Think about the 2020 election where the Republican platform is based around the BLM protests in cities and people escaping to the suburbs. 

Two very shocking things addressed in the documentary were that 95% of prosecutors in the US are white and Aramark the cleaning company contracted to clean Providence Schools is part of ALEC. So the company that is profiting from mass incarceration's is cleaning the very schools in a community effected by mass incarceration's...😲 I think of the TED Talk by Alice Goffman How Are We Priming Some Kids for College-and others prison. As an educator, I see this everyday, where you're on the college track or you're not. I can admit that Lady Justice does not shine a light on my student's very often. Prison as we know it today is the New Jim Crow. We hear about this issue of defunding the police and some people interpret it as "defunding the police" taking away LAW & ORDER. I hear, as Alice Goffman suggested a reinvestment into recovery, prevention and civic inclusion to prevent mass incarceration. This idea as addressed in Jean Anyon What Counts as Education Policy? A New Paradigm that Black and Latino families face the greatest financial hurdles. Poverty puts stress on families, which can increase the likelihood of children developing behavioral problems. This now brings me to the overt focus on discipline rates for students of color. In the publication How Discipline and Policing Policies Harm Students of Color and What Can We do About It? Through discipline we are not addressing the root causes of racial and socioeconomic disparities in communities of color and how they can lead to poor academic performance. It's almost the elephant in the room that no one wants to take on. I thought of something radical in this article and how in this post Nation At Risk educational landscape is how standardized testing perpetuates this idea of racial and ethnic inequalities-shouldn't this be considered a Civil Rights violation? The school to prison pipeline still exists because we keep on defunding communities that need help the most. In RI segregation is no longer racial, but geographical. 

I leave this post with one final thought as Billy Holiday's "Strange Fruit" plays through my head. We are living in a time of "critical hope" where the odd's are stacked against many of our students, but as educators how do we help them overcome these oppressive structures, can they...



Comments

  1. Carissa, I concur with your opening statement. I too am not a person of color, but am a proud educator of students of all colors! Your funding formula equation: PEOPLE OF COLOR+ INCARCERATIONS=BIG BUSNIESS AND PROFITS reminded me of the title of my blog this week: Policy + Poverty = Prison. Both are actually so very true. Two different equations, but both add up! Your reference to Hollywood was interesting to me, as I was unaware of this fact. Segregation affected the money making movie industry. I agree with you on what Nixon's view would be on BLM. He would see it as a threat rather than a movement addressing public brutality. This was evident in his "war on crime" which was actually a black political movement. I also found it disturbing that our cleaning company, Aramark, was part of the ALEC, the company that is profiting from mass incarceration's is cleaning the very schools in a community affected by mass incarceration's. Finally, your analogy of "the elephant in the room" is perfect. Through discipline, instead of "Restorative Practice", we are not addressing the root causes of racial and socioeconomic disparities in communities of color and how they can lead to poor academic performance. You never hear policy makers talking about the families that lack access to stable housing, better employment opportunities, and better health care options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thank you for your poignant response. I feel at a cross roads in my career because I do not consider myself a person of color, even though I come from a mixed racial background. We often hear statistically that students of color identify better with educators of color. This has been the narrative for the PPSD Transformation Model. Yet, if we don't make an education investment in our students of color, why would they pursue jobs in education. Many of them are impoverished and see the realities of education today and don't want to go into teaching based on this premise of living in perpetual poverty. I think about Richard Nixon and something my husband said made a lot of sense that is referred to as a "Chaos President." This is no different than our current administration. It sad when we as educators find the "reasonable dinginess" of our cleaning contract to be ok, this is inequitable. I have found many issues with Restorative Justice, especially when proper training or execution isn't involved. We need to focus more on the SEL issues in every classroom. I am very disheartened with our current educational administration because their focus seems to be just using buzz words and not actually putting them into practice to better our educational communities.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carissa,

    The image you've included in your blog of "Today's Students Experience..." is powerful and 100% accurate! When you look at the "big picture," it is incredible to think of all these negative impacts many of our students in urban communities are facing. This raises the question, are School Resource Officers (SROs) really needed and are they effective? Coming from the elementary side of things, we typically do not have behaviors that would justify the need for SROs, but most middle and high schools have at least one more SRO in Providence. Rather than investing on SROs, how can funds be better allocated to support our students? We can certainly benefit from additional social/emotional supports. At the elementary level, we just received an SEL curriculum for all grades and have 15 minutes of SEL built into our daily schedules to implement the program to better support students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, I am very curious what the future will hold for our SRO's. I can tell you that I support their presence at a secondary level, especially in the event of an emergency. At Central our SRO is not only a man of color, but is extremely engaging with the students. I do agree that more funds need to be allocated to social/emotional and mental health support. However, currently, I see little of that happening with our current administration. This was evident during the presidential debate where President Trump addressed former Vice President Biden's son's drug use. However, Biden did not address the alcoholism that essentially killed his older brother Fred Trump Jr. We see this stigmatization of substance abuse issues in the US. Many of our secondary students are coming to school impaired. SEL shouldn't have its own curriculum, but be an embedded daily practice in all classrooms, even in the content. When I subbed elementary, I thought about students that were exhibiting social/emotional issues, by the time they reach me in secondary, they've already fallen through the cracks. Social/emotional health is becoming a big business, but is it helping?

      Delete
  3. Hey Carissa! I really loved the ties you made to the BLM organization, and the fact that many white aggressors such as Nixon and Reagan would most likely consider the group full of “enemies of the state”. What I think is really interesting and something that could tie in well to your point about minimum sentencing and punishing minor crimes is the push for police reform in the US currently led by organizations like BLM. Have you heard of Campaign Zero? They have a 10-step plan, as well as a movement called #8cantwait that relate directly to things like removing minimum sentencing and abolishing broken window crimes such as minor drug possession! Look into it, if you care to. It would definitely build onto your points well in many cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, thank you for the suggestions. Even though I support the BLM movement, I feel that some do not have good intentions. My question is, why do you feel police violence exist? My husband and I had this conversation and he indicated that it is a lack of community knowledge and systemic racism. Many of the officers are not familiar with the communities that they patrol. My great uncle was a Providence Police sergeant for the lower South Side in the 1970's. He loved working in the area because he knew it implicitly. We have taken any type of logic and reason out of policing. I did look at the Campaign Zero website and it looks well put together, but how effective will this campaign be to end police violence? I watch videos of George Floyd's murder multiple times. The biggest thing that stuck me was the complacency of the other officers. I do not know when policing became "shoot first and ask questions later."

      Below is a powerful video I watched regarding how for some protesting has led to looting. How is our peaceful protests bettering police violence in these communities? Are these protests an excuse for some to loot?
      https://youtu.be/MYbXlUx97NI

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nuestra Historia

Was COVID Exacerbated by the Income Gap💵

Introductions