Proposal for Final Paper: Redlining

This class began under very unusual times with COVID-19 and has come to an end too soon. I want my final paper to not only be an interesting topic, but also allow me to better understand how factors related to social issues in education affect my teaching career everyday. For anyone who has read my blog knows that I am a fierce advocate for the betterment and continuation of public education. I would ask for constructive feedback as I move ahead in my research phase. 

I chose to talk about the permanent social impact that "redlining" has had on communities of color through funding issues and economic segregation. I am looking to research the area where I teach, which is Central High School in Providence. 

Further Questions for Thought 

1. Who was the power behind redlining?

2. Who or what specifically did redlining benefit? Who or what did it harm? If so, how?

3. What is the everlasting impact of redlining

4. Did redlining lead to gentrification? If so, how?

I will be utilizing the Rhode Island Historical society, particularly looking at how redlining was evident with the 1-95 placement, especially the destruction of Cape Verdean community in Fox Point. I will examine the cultural history of the Armory District today and the gentrification that I currently see it undergoing. I will also explore the website Mapping Inequality Redlining in the New Deal in America for further research. For my three in class sources, I plan to revisit the following articles to help me further explore the topic. 

  • Anyon, J. "What counts as educational policy?" 
  • Rose, T. How structural racism works
  • Devastad Budgets and Widening Inequities: How the Coronavirus will Impact Schools 


Comments

  1. Carissa, this sounds like an interesting paper topic. You may be able to include information about where and when the term started, and how it was used to prevent certain populations from receiving student loans and credit cards and the effects this. Good luck with your research and writing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerren, I want to further explore who had access to loans and credit cards. Ultimately this dichotomy between the suburbs and urban areas. My biggest concern is narrowing down the topic.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carissa,
    I think redlining is a great idea for your final paper!! I found this course to be immensely informative. Redlining was a new term for me and would also like to incorporate it into my final paper. You also mention focusing on the destruction of the Cape Verdean community in Fox Point. When I first began this program, I wrote a paper on individuals who relocated from Cape Verde to Rhode Island. The Cape Verdean Community Development Center is a wonderful organization that was very helpful when I was doing my research. I am not sure how the organization is operating under COVID restrictions but they are located on High Street in Pawtucket, RI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, a film of interest may be Some Kinda Funny Puerto Rican, it's on Youtube. It further explains the 1-95 relocation by eminent domain and how the Cape Verdean community was altered. I will look into the Cape Verdean Community Development Center. Thank you so much for the reference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nuestra Historia

Was COVID Exacerbated by the Income Gap💵

Introductions